Eitan Vesely recently authored an article covering the convergence of IT and OT in the chemical processing industry. Below are highlights of the article:
- The chemical industry lags behind other industry in the convergence of Information Technology (IT) and Operation Technology (OT).
- The industry is plagued by poor governance and decentralized technology decision making.
- With the rise of digitalization, executives recognize the strategic importance of IIoT Predictive Maintenance and other Industry 4.0 initiatives.
- AI and Machine Learning for Predictive Asset Maintenance can be the catalyst for the convergence of IT and OT.
- The business drivers for Predictive Maintenance are compelling and understood at an executive level: with Machine Learning, big data generated from plant sensors can be analyzed and provide plants with information on evolving asset failure and Root Cause Analysis (RCA).
- Industrial Analytics reduces O&M spend by shifting resources away from Reactive Maintenance activities.
- Based on the compelling factors (operational and financial), we believe that top down change will force central IT and local plant operators to cooperate on the infrastructure and support required for IIoT Predictive Maintenance.
- The full article is available here.